Home

What's New

News Release | CoPIRG Foundation | Public Health

Stop the Superbugs: CoPIRG, Doctors Call for End to Antibiotic Overuse on Factory Farms

The CoPIRG Foundation, along with medical professionals across Colorado, called upon the Obama Administration today to immediately restrict the use of antibiotics on factory farms when animals are not sick. They are part of a nationwide coalition of more than 2,000 medical professionals working against the declining effectiveness of antibiotics due to overuse and misuse.

> Keep Reading
Report | CoPIRG Foundation | Public Health

Ending the Abuse of Antibiotics in Livestock Production

Without urgent, coordinated action by many stakeholders, the world is headed for a post-antibiotic era, in which common infections and minor injuries which have been treatable for decades can once again kill.

Over 70% of antibiotics in classes used in human medicine are sold for use in food animals.  This is typically done to increase the speed at which animals gain weight or to prevent disease caused by unhealthy and unsanitary conditions.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

The CFPB at Three: A Child Prodigy | Ed Mierzwinski

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) turned just three years old Monday, July 21st, but when you look at its massive and compelling body of work, you must wonder: Are watchdog years like plain old dog years? Is the CFPB now a full-sized, 21-year-old adult? The answer is no, not yet. The CFPB is still growing and developing and adding programs and projects. The CFPB is, however, at three years old, certainly a child prodigy. Despite overwhelming public support, however, powerful special interests continue to attack it. Yet, the idea of the CFPB needs no defense, only more defenders.

> Keep Reading
News Release | CoPIRG | Transportation

Bill to Increase Public Protections in Private Road Deals Vetoed by Governor Hickenlooper

Governor Hickenlooper vetoed a bi-partisan bill, SB-197, that would increase transparency and public protections in private road deals. The Legislature passed SB-197 in response to the immense public outcry after Colorado entered into a 50-year deal with a private company to build and manage parts of U.S. 36 including new toll lanes. 

> Keep Reading
News Release | CoPIRG Foundation | Safe Energy

VICTORY: PUC Rejects Xcel’s Energy Savings Rollback Proposal

On Wednesday, the Colorado Public Utilities Commission rejected Xcel Energy’s proposal to cut their energy savings programs by nearly a third from their 2014 level. The PUC also tightened up the rules around bonuses that Xcel can generate from meeting their goals and directed Xcel Energy to develop plans for new energy saving opportunities.

> Keep Reading

Pages

News Release | CoPIRG Foundation | Public Health

Stop the Superbugs: CoPIRG, Doctors Call for End to Antibiotic Overuse on Factory Farms

The CoPIRG Foundation, along with medical professionals across Colorado, called upon the Obama Administration today to immediately restrict the use of antibiotics on factory farms when animals are not sick. They are part of a nationwide coalition of more than 2,000 medical professionals working against the declining effectiveness of antibiotics due to overuse and misuse.

> Keep Reading
News Release | CoPIRG | Transportation

Bill to Increase Public Protections in Private Road Deals Vetoed by Governor Hickenlooper

Governor Hickenlooper vetoed a bi-partisan bill, SB-197, that would increase transparency and public protections in private road deals. The Legislature passed SB-197 in response to the immense public outcry after Colorado entered into a 50-year deal with a private company to build and manage parts of U.S. 36 including new toll lanes. 

> Keep Reading
News Release | CoPIRG Foundation | Safe Energy

VICTORY: PUC Rejects Xcel’s Energy Savings Rollback Proposal

On Wednesday, the Colorado Public Utilities Commission rejected Xcel Energy’s proposal to cut their energy savings programs by nearly a third from their 2014 level. The PUC also tightened up the rules around bonuses that Xcel can generate from meeting their goals and directed Xcel Energy to develop plans for new energy saving opportunities.

> Keep Reading
Media Hit | Safe Energy

Don't retreat on Xcel energy efficiency goals

There is no question Xcel Energy's efficiency savings program has been a success since 2009, saving customers nearly 1.6 billion kilowatt-hours a year.

> Keep Reading
Media Hit | Transportation

US 36 bill head's to Governor's desk

A bill that requires more public scrutiny of public-private road deals passed the House of Representatives on Monday and is heading to Gov. John Hickenlooper's desk for signing.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Result

Energy Savings: 5 Years Later, Efficiency Policy Saves 800 Million Kwh

5 years after the landmark CoPIRG-backed energy efficiency bill passed the General Assembly, Coloradans have seen 800 million kwh of energy saved per year.

> Keep Reading

President Appoints "America's Consumer Watchdog"

CoPIRG applauds President Obama for standing up for consumers by making a recess appointment of former Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray to head the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

> Keep Reading
Result | Health Care

656 Participate in Forums about CO Health Benefit Exchange

656 Coloradans participated in CoPIRG-oragnized forums designed to raise the voice of Coloradans around the design and implementation of the Colorado Health Benefit Exchange. 

> Keep Reading
Result | Public Health

KIDS’ SCHOOL LUNCHES NOW SAFER

For years, America’s schoolchildren have been eating beef, chicken and other foods that would have been rejected as substandard even by fast food chains. Thanks in part to our advocacy, the U.S.D.A. has stopped buying such low-quality meat for school lunches.

> Keep Reading

Keeping Families Safe From Dangerous Products

Companies that  violate product safety laws will face stiff fines and penalties,

> Keep Reading

Pages

Report | CoPIRG Foundation | Public Health

Ending the Abuse of Antibiotics in Livestock Production

Without urgent, coordinated action by many stakeholders, the world is headed for a post-antibiotic era, in which common infections and minor injuries which have been treatable for decades can once again kill.

Over 70% of antibiotics in classes used in human medicine are sold for use in food animals.  This is typically done to increase the speed at which animals gain weight or to prevent disease caused by unhealthy and unsanitary conditions.

> Keep Reading
Report | CoPIRG | Transportation

Analysis of SB-197, Public Protections in Private Road Deals

Success in public-private partnerships (PPPs) for transportation projects is not measured by whether you complete a deal but rather whether that deal is good for Colorado and the public interest.

> Keep Reading
Report | CoPIRG Foundation | Safe Energy

Compilation of SelfEEs

To show the widespread support for energy efficiency programs in Colorado, Coloradans particpated in CoPIRG, Environment Colorado and the Southwest Energy Efficiency Project's SelfEE campaign.

> Keep Reading
Report | CoPIRG | Tax

Picking Up the Tab 2014

Every year, corporations and wealthy individuals use complicated gimmicks to shift U.S. earnings to subsidiaries in offshore tax havens – countries with minimal or no taxes – in order to reduce their state and federal income tax liability by billions of dollars. This report looks at the cost of this abuse to taxpayers and small businesses.

> Keep Reading
Report | CoPIRG | Safe Energy

Factsheet: Xcel's Goals, Actuals and Future Recommendations

View a chart of Xcel's energy saving goals and actuals for the last five years and their proposal and SWEEP's recommendations for the next five years.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Blog Post | Consumer Protection

The CFPB at Three: A Child Prodigy | Ed Mierzwinski

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) turned just three years old Monday, July 21st, but when you look at its massive and compelling body of work, you must wonder: Are watchdog years like plain old dog years? Is the CFPB now a full-sized, 21-year-old adult? The answer is no, not yet. The CFPB is still growing and developing and adding programs and projects. The CFPB is, however, at three years old, certainly a child prodigy. Despite overwhelming public support, however, powerful special interests continue to attack it. Yet, the idea of the CFPB needs no defense, only more defenders.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Transportation

Questions we should ask about US 36 agreement | Danny Katz

There are three things people should review around the US 36 proposal - Is this a good transportation project? Should we engage in a public-private partnership to complete it? Has this been a good process?

This post is mainly about # 2, the 600 page agreement between CDOT and a private company to manage US 36 for the next 50 years.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Transportation

CDOT releases 600 page US36 public-private partnership agreement | Danny Katz

At 4pm today, CDOT released the agreement for the US36 public-private partnership proposal.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Transportation

Details Emerging on US36 Public-Private Partnership Proposal | Danny Katz

Update from Director Danny Katz on the details emerging around the US 36 Public-Private Partnership Proposal

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Transportation

New academic study underscores CoPIRG finding on reduced driving | Danny Katz

A new report from the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute indicates that light duty miles down 8.8% between 2004 and 2011.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Priority Action

The overuse of antibiotics on factory farms is threatening the effectiveness of lifesaving antibiotics. Call on the Food and Drug Administration to put an end to the worst practices.

consumer alerts

Join our network and stay up to date on our campaigns, get important consumer updates and take action on critical issues.

support us

Your donation supports CoPIRG's work to stand up for consumers on the issues that matter, especially when powerful interests are blocking progress.